How does BH365® align with state learning standards and objectives?
BH365® is independent curriculum that meets and exceeds national requirements for U.S. History and social sciences learning standards and objectives that have traditionally included understanding:
· The Civil Rights movements and leaders
· Presidential and congressional action
· Constitutional amendments
· Eugenics and race relations
· And much more…
This curriculum can be used independently in a student-centered course intentionally-designed around the text or as a supplement to existing US History, Elective/Enrichment or college courses. This curriculum fills an educational gap that exists within many state curricula and will have editions for elementary, middle, and high school learners.BH365 can provide course models for districts interested in adding a Black History course to their course offerings.
Our curriculum model utilizes Bowen’s Understanding By Design (Backwards Design) and includes:
· Proven, high-impact instructional strategies that result in student engagement
· Inquiry-based, student-centered text
· Bloom’s Taxonomy
· Engages all learning styles inventories
The Solutionist Academy is an after-school (or Saturday) educational initiative based upon the BH365® course material. Our professional development team is available to train your staff to provide the educational experience.
What is BH365®
Black History 365® (BH365) is a comprehensive K-12 curriculum designed for public schools across America. Our purpose is to provide a tech-savvy educational resource that will invite students to become:
· critical thinkers
· compassionate listeners
· fact-based, respectful communicators
· action-oriented solutionists
BH365® is an interactive history textbook that may be used independently or as supplemental text and includes instructor resources such as:
· Curriculum planning guides
· Instructional tools
· Family and community engagement and restorative/wellness activities
· Audio/visual supplements
· Electronic assessments
Full of rarely told history lessons and backed by more than 3,000 original artifacts, BH365® takes students and educators on a colorful journey to embracing an inclusive account of American history as is great for:
· American History Courses
· Elective Courses
· Extended Learning Opportunities
· Study Groups
· Personal Enrichment
Does BH365® offer professional learning for educators teaching the course material?
Yes, we have a robust team of highly experienced former superintendents, principals and educators.
Is BH365® available in eBook format?
Yes! As the COVID-19 virus has made a new normal in the school system, it has a provided BH365 the opportunity to facilitate distance learning through our interactive e-Book edition, which is available early August, 2020
What are the educational and printing standards for the BH365® curriculum?
The BH365® curriculum textbooks are printed and manufactured in the United States by LSC Communications. We meet and exceed MSST, NASTA and SIMRA manufacturing standards for the textbooks developed for this curriculum. (https://bomi.memberclicks.net/msst ) & (https://bomi.memberclicks.net/assets/docs/MSST-Webinar-2012.pdf )
Is BH365® primarily for Black students?
BH365® is for all learners. We are certain African and Black American learners will be greatly inspired and connected to the text because they will see themselves in a way they have not before. However, BH365® is historical text, and therefore is for any person interested in a more complete American story.
When will the BH365® textbook/curriculum edition be available?
BH365® textbook (9-12): available Fall 2020
BH365® Grade Bands (K-2, 3-5, 6-8): available January 2021
What separates BH365® from other history textbooks?
Eight Distinctives: No other Black History curriculum – regardless the publisher – comes close to BH365®. Here are at least eight reasons and distinctives that set BH365 apart from all other educational publishers:
1. BH365® has exclusive access to 3,000+ genuine documents and artifacts from the celebrated and comprehensive Freeman Institute® Black History collection (oldest piece dated 1553). Over 4,000 high resolution images have been identified from that collection, many of which are utilized to inform the curriculum and illustrate the text.
2. BH365® includes the proprietary “Elephant Experience” student engagement process – with important subject matter interspersed throughout the curriculum – designed to prepare students to become critical thinkers, compassionate listeners and fact-based, respectful communicators when dealing with significant topics that have vexed our country for centuries.
3. BH365® curriculum project is missional – African American majority-owned/operated (BH365), with all resources published by an African American/women-owned entity (CGW365 Publishing). Other textbook companies owners and operators tend to be less missional, more transactional.
4. BH365® incorporates side bar materials that are strategically placed throughout each chapter, providing student encounters on an approachable level.
5. BH365® engages the whole student with chapter check-ins – using interdisciplinary components like science, math, language – as a part of the ongoing student experience throughout each unit.
6. BH365® offers extensive supports and resources to both teachers and students through Professional Development (PD). Even though our textbook is not a psychology book, we know that some of the topics will cause certain thoughts, emotions and questions to rise to the surface. That is why we have put together a team of experts, an engaging textbook and an unparalleled PD process that will serve as an instructional tool for the teachers.
7. BH365® integrates technology in each unit and chapter.
a. Each unit contains technology integration including embedded QR codes throughout each chapter that can be scanned using an iPhone, the SnapChat application or a free downloadable QR code reading application. This allows students to read about a person or event and then immediately watch a video relevant to that topic.
b. The QR codes lead readers to virtual tours to landmarks referenced within the text via Google Earth, online assessments, and supplemental instructional videos or documentaries via YouTube and participating partners.
c. Related activities and assessments accompany each integrated technology.
8. BH365® is comprised of a diverse group of writers and historians who start the curriculum in ancient Africa and end in Canada – where they introduce students to the people who followed the North Star to settle in communities that allowed for freedom of movement, thought and enterprise.
Is BH365® implemented as a supplemental text or as a primary text?
BH365® may be used as independent or primary text or supplemental text. BH365® addresses most all U. S. History standards and many social science standards. If the designated number of units are sold within any one district, BH365 will jointly develop a course guide and curriculum for districts wanting to create a primary history course for elementary or secondary credits. BH365® text may always be used as supplemental text in district-approved courses.
How can I help?
Contact us today to schedule a virtual or in-person sales meeting, providing your district name, person of contact, and best contact information.
1. Contact your school superintendent, assistant superintendent, chief academic officer, or curriculum specialist. Personalize this sample letter.
2. Attend the next school board meeting and kindly express your interest in Black History.
3. Acquire a copy of the textbook here on the website and familiarize yourself with the material.
Can individuals or home school familes acquire the BH365® for as an instructional tool.
Yes, we have provided an exclusive opportunity to acquire a copy on the BH365 website –especially for those who want to experience the kind of Black History education they didn’t learn in school.